Asked in Contracts and Education Law for Ohio

Q: Can I/How do I oppose my university??

Hello! I am a university at a state school, in a highly competitive college/program. I am in my fourth and final year and will be graduating in May. I've had around 90% scholarship in my time here, with my junior year being fully covered, and my senior year as well... so I thought. I recently received an email from one of the deans saying that the school had mis-contributed an extra $3000 to my tuition for this year, that they just caught the mistake, and it would have to be returned. That being said, when revising my contract for the scholarships for this year, it does amount to $3000 less in the contract than the amount I received in scholarship. With all that being said, do I have any legal options or things to know before my meeting with this individual? I do not have the funds for this and this late in the school year would be impossible to budget for, and am really quite nervous about it. I would appreciate any help or advice. Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: A university makes scholarship decisions. If they made a mistake and want their money back, they could withhold your diploma until repaid. You could get an attorney involved. That might delay things. You can use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain an attorney to review the facts and attend the meeting with you or go by yourself.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.