Kamuela, HI asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Hawaii

Q: My son's biological father has not see him in 2.5yrs & no $ in 8months, can I get his parental rights terminated?

He has repeatedly refused to visit his son and goes months without talking to him on phone. My son asked him to terminate his rights a couple months ago so my partner could adopt him, but he refused & then stopped communicating for months. What can I do to terminate his rights?

How long does it take?

How much $ will it cost to do that?

1 Lawyer Answer
Robin R. Gregory
Robin R. Gregory
  • Rapid City, SD
  • Licensed in Hawaii

A: This is a complex issue and no "one way" to go about accomplishing your goal. Also, I would need to get more information before determining what is the "best" way to proceed. I suggest you retain an attorney and discuss your options. I have seen biological fathers who have no interest in the child, give-up parental rights when faced with paying child support. But that is just one route you could take - possibly under the Uniform Desertion and Non-Support Act (HRS 575-2)

It looks like you may already have a court order for child support? You could try to enforce the support order through CSEA.

Another option is to file a Petition for involuntary termination of parental rights under HRS 571-61(b) [note A is not applicable to your case]

(b) Involuntary termination.

(1) The family courts may terminate the parental rights in respect to any child as to any legal parent:

(A) Who has deserted the child without affording means of identification for a period of at least ninety days;

(B) Who has voluntarily surrendered the care and custody of the child to another for a period of at least two years;

(C) Who, when the child is in the custody of another, has failed to communicate with the child when able to do so for a period of at least one year;

(D) Who, when the child is in the custody of another, has failed to provide for care and support of the child when able to do so for a period of at least one year;

COST: Depends on the expertise of the attorney you choose; the complexity of the case once the attorney is involved; the number of months or years involved; many other factors

HOW LONG: no way to predict it could be months and it could be years. Don't expect anything to be easy or quick.


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.