Aiea, HI asked in Child Support for Hawaii

Q: If the custodial parent doesn’t go in office to be served papers, what happens to case?

The custodial parent received a letter that it was mandatory to go in the Child Support office by 4/1 to be served, or else state assistance would be stopped. What happens to case then, if she no longer is cooperating? Is case closed & paternity no longer established?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robin R. Gregory
Robin R. Gregory
  • Rapid City, SD
  • Licensed in Hawaii

A: I need more information to answer your question. I can only assume you are the father and you filed a case with CSEA? Has paternity already been established? Are you on the birth certificate? Was there a prior order for child support?

I suggest you talk with an attorney who can ask you questions to fill-out the whole story and see the issues.

Once paternity is established, it is unlikely it will be un-established, except through DNA testing.

Here is a scenario that may or may not pertain to your situation: Paternity is established and father is ordered to pay child support. Father asks for a hearing on the matter (or objects, etc.) Mother does not cooperate (does not show-up at the hearing, etc.) One thing that could happen is Father would get the child support reduced because Mother is not there to support her claims. But that would depend on what happened prior and subsequent to the original order.

No, child support does not go away.

Good Luck to you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.