Clarksville, TN asked in Bankruptcy for Virginia

Q: See additional details

Ex husband and I divorced approx 8 years ago. Property settlement awards him our home with the stipulation that if he ever sells i am to receive half of the equity. If he sells the home, pays me my court ordered share of the equity then files Ch 7 bankruptcy is my portion of the equity in jeopardy? Not concerned about his. :) I reside in TN. Ex resides in the home in Virginia.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Denison
Timothy Denison
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Louisville, KY

A: You are probably safe, depending g on the exact wording of the agreement, but you should hire an attorney to review and file if necessary.

Robert R Weed agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.