Wilmington, NC asked in Divorce and Family Law for North Carolina

Q: Will I receive alimony and possibly a majority share of assets and/or reimbursement for attorney fees?

My husband of 8 yrs left in 3/18 and is filing for divorce (100% his choice).

I moved from TX, where my family lives, to NC to marry him. I gave up 3 yrs’ of alimony from my ex and sold stock I received in that divorce to make $60k in repairs to my husband’s home (we refinanced in both our names and added me to the title).

Because I couldn’t afford the home, I moved out, and my husband moved back in. My dad cosigned on a cheaper house (my husband signed away his rights to it).

I have high medical costs due to a preexisting illness. I exhausted my stock proceeds by paying all medical and household expenses, plus my kids’ expenses. My husband paid the mortgage and health insurance.

I haven’t found a job yet (my yrs as a SAHM are hurting me). Also, my husband was verbally abusive and abused alcohol and marijuana.

I want 4 yrs of alimony, attorney fees, and a majority share of both home equity and 8 yrs of his future pension. What are my chances of getting that in court?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: You can look at a chart and calculate child support - you can't do that with equitable distribution. There are many factors that can be considered and a Judge has wide discretion to decide. The best thing is for you and your spouse to sit down and decide something fair yourselves for free or at very low cost with the guidance of an attorney or you can duke it out in court and pay strangers often quite a bit to decide for you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.