Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Collections for Minnesota

Q: In MN, Can you get out of your apartment lease with a 60 day written notice?

My boyfriend (husband now) gave his apartment complex a 60 day written notice when he decided to move in with me after not living in the apartment for a couple months. it's been 3+ years and now I see on his credit report that he has been given over to a collection agency for delinquent payment. I'm not sure what the rules are for rentals, he said the 60 day notice was a law/rule. I'm wondering if we do owe this large sum of money and if not, how do we prove it and get rid of it! His credit score is terrible (Luckily mine is immaculate, so we've been able to use my credit for home loans, etc.) and we really need to fix this asap. We have two kids in daycare and I'm stressed out thinking about a "surprise" debt that we, ultimately, didn't get anything from. On top of that my husband told me that when he went to move the rest of his things from his apartment it was infested with cockroaches so he just left his stuff. Any advice or help on where to start to get rid of this is helpful.

1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL

A: You and your new husband have a very serious legal problem that cannot be solved by discussing what your husband told you was "his understanding" that all he had to do was give his prior landlord a 60 day written notice before moving out of the apartment he rented before meeting and marrying you. Worse yet, now that you two are married, your husband's problem could also become your problem--thereby infecting your "immaculate" credit score--unless you take steps to fix it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.