Minnesota Collections Questions & Answers

Q: In MN, Can you get out of your apartment lease with a 60 day written notice?

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Collections for Minnesota on
Answered on Apr 3, 2019
Bruce Alexander Minnick's answer
You and your new husband have a very serious legal problem that cannot be solved by discussing what your husband told you was "his understanding" that all he had to do was give his prior landlord a 60 day written notice before moving out of the apartment he rented before meeting and marrying you. Worse yet, now that you two are married, your husband's problem could also become your problem--thereby infecting your "immaculate" credit score--unless you take steps to fix it.

Q: I recently co-signed an auto loan for a friend who promised to make payments. Now he has refused to make payment but

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims, Contracts and Collections for Minnesota on
Answered on Sep 27, 2018
Joseph A. Gangi's answer
If you co-signed, then you are likely responsible just as equally as your so-called friend. Your options may include refinancing, forbearance, taking out another loan to pay this back, borrowing money to pay it off, etc. You will find many resources, blog posts, AG articles, and the like addressing this topic.

Q: Someone I know was recently called and threatened by a debt collector for a debt that was charged off a while back.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Minnesota on
Answered on Jul 19, 2016
Lucas Wynne's answer
Call an attorney for help as the debt collector may very well be violating federal law. Keep a log of each time they call.

Q: Someone owe's me close to 1700 and wont pay.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Minnesota on
Answered on Sep 18, 2014
Kristen Bullock's answer
You should file a claim in Conciliation Court. Unless the debt owed is for court-ordered restitution, the fact that he is on probation won't matter.


1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Minnesota on
Answered on Dec 18, 2010
Robert Douglas Kane Jr's answer
Please visit the Minnesota Judicial Branch website. The appropriate forms should be there.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.