Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Minnesota Collections Questions & Answers
3 Answers | Asked in Collections and Traffic Tickets for Minnesota on
Q: Should I pay for a 16y old speeding ticket from another state? Pay the state or collection agency?

I recently received this speeding ticket apparently in 2004. I don't understand, why I just got it now? The address I currently live wasn't on my drivers license then. I currently live in a different state from the issued ticket. I'm confused as in what I should do.

William Bailey
William Bailey answered on Mar 2, 2020

It is unclear what state the ticket is from. You will want to contact an attorney in that state.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Collections, Intellectual Property and Small Claims for Minnesota on
Q: Best way to go about this

I bought my stepmom car for 2000.. and today she showed up with the police claiming that I never paid her anything and she wants the car back. She had the car towed off my property...

I have text messages from her saying the price of the car, me giving her mom, and are agreement... Read more »

Marcos Garciaacosta
Marcos Garciaacosta answered on Jan 5, 2020

consult a local attorney, you can try this in small claims depending on your jurisdiction

make sure you have all documented and printed for presenting to the court

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts, Real Estate Law and Collections for Minnesota on
Q: In MN, Can you get out of your apartment lease with a 60 day written notice?

My boyfriend (husband now) gave his apartment complex a 60 day written notice when he decided to move in with me after not living in the apartment for a couple months. it's been 3+ years and now I see on his credit report that he has been given over to a collection agency for delinquent... Read more »

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick answered on Apr 3, 2019

You and your new husband have a very serious legal problem that cannot be solved by discussing what your husband told you was "his understanding" that all he had to do was give his prior landlord a 60 day written notice before moving out of the apartment he rented before meeting and... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Small Claims, Contracts and Collections for Minnesota on
Q: I recently co-signed an auto loan for a friend who promised to make payments. Now he has refused to make payment but

Lied about making payment. The bank just contacted me and I've tried several times to reach the borrower but he refused to respond to my messages, emails or answer/return any of my calls. I can't afford to make payments as am struggling to care for my child as a single parent. The... Read more »

Joseph A. Gangi
Joseph A. Gangi answered on Sep 27, 2018

If you co-signed, then you are likely responsible just as equally as your so-called friend. Your options may include refinancing, forbearance, taking out another loan to pay this back, borrowing money to pay it off, etc. You will find many resources, blog posts, AG articles, and the like... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Minnesota on
Q: Someone I know was recently called and threatened by a debt collector for a debt that was charged off a while back.

On his credit report, it's in the closed section listed at $0. The debt collector in question claims to be called 'Global', just the one word, and only was willing to give a single phone number, and claims not to have a website. They threatened to sue, but were very vague with... Read more »

Lucas Wynne
Lucas Wynne answered on Jul 19, 2016

Call an attorney for help as the debt collector may very well be violating federal law. Keep a log of each time they call.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Minnesota on
Q: Someone owe's me close to 1700 and wont pay.

Someone owe's me close to 1700 and wont pay. I never put anything in writing but has message the person a number of times which he is stating that he owes now he wont return any messages. I have screen shots of all messages.. What can i do and by him being on probation will that help me??

Kristen Bullock
Kristen Bullock answered on Sep 18, 2014

You should file a claim in Conciliation Court. Unless the debt owed is for court-ordered restitution, the fact that he is on probation won't matter.

1 Answer | Asked in Collections for Minnesota on
Robert Douglas Kane Jr
Robert Douglas Kane Jr answered on Dec 18, 2010

Please visit the Minnesota Judicial Branch website. The appropriate forms should be there.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.