Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Family Law for North Carolina

Q: As a father to a minor child can I file for TPR on myself in a pending 50-B action, a custody action initiated by myself

There are many revolving parts of this particular case, including pending custody orders from 2 different counties, a 50-B also attached with a temporary custody order, pending change of venue hearing, as well as multiple jurisdictional issues. I wish to simply sever all ties and be done with the proceeding and any contact with the mother and minor.

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Of course you can not terminate your own parental rights because that would mean you could unilaterally terminate your obligation to pay child support. You don't need any sort of court order or court involvement to stay away from the mother and child but unless you are willing to live an indigent lifestyle off the grid or likely have to hop from job to job, you will be paying child support unless mother lets you off the hook and even if she is willing to do that, the state of North Carolina may not let her do it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.