Clayton, NC asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Domestic Violence for North Carolina

Q: I am in desperate need of assistance finding help in seeing my three daughters who are being kept out of contact with me

After drafting a separation agreement stating the girls would reside with me, my spouse decided to skirt the law and removed them from the home and has kept them out of contact with me since July 2018. He was able to enter an order that is flawed in several ways in Oct. 2018 and is standing behind that. I was not allowed to even speak let alone present my case yesterday in domestic court when I had filed a motion to modify in an attempt to proceed with mediation and speak with/see them, due to the lawyer who helped him enter the order and the judge who signed it trying to cover their mistakes. The motion was dismissed almost immediately and I was not allowed to present Any evidence at all to the same judge who originally signed it. I have refiled the motion and have a new date of April 29th and am in contact with the mediator but also in need of legal assistance as there is obviously something amiss.

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: What is 'amiss' is you trying to do your own legal work and you are not an attorney. Would you ever in a million years think to yourself - "know what, I know I'm not a mechanic but I'mma go ahead a rebuild my car's transmission - how hard could it be". Compared to legal work - you'd likely have better luck rebuilding the transmission properly. You need to hire an attorney. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.