Huntington Beach, CA asked in Family Law for California

Q: What form do I fill out to change my last name on all my court documents for my Family Law case in CA?

I am doing a modification for Child Custody and have remarried since the last time we went to court. I want my court documents and the judge to address me by my current last name instead of my ex-husband’s.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Nazanin Ghazi
Nazanin Ghazi
  • Sherman Oaks, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: The option to change your last name and to go back to using your maiden name was given to you when the divorce proceeding had started. You might want to take a look at your final judgment documents to see if this was already ordered by the court. If it was, then there is nothing for you to do. If it wasn't ordered in the previous case, then you have to file a petition to do so and you can find the necessary information at

Good luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.