Greensboro, NC asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for North Carolina

Q: Hi my son was kept away from me for 9 yrs. He has recently reached out to me and is 14 yrs old now.

In the beginning the mother would not take child support from me or go to court bc she thought it would make it easier for me to see him if she did. She also cut all communication off with me up to present day. Im in his life now bc he found me on social media and reached out to me behind her back at first. Now she knows and is not very happy that he found me. But I am so glad to have my son back in my life finally. Now me and him talk but I am barely allowed to spend time with him bc she does whatever she can to make it impossible. We never went to court and I had no court order to pay child support during the time all that happened in the beginning. So now my son is wanting me to take her to court so he can spend time with me. If I did take her to court how would that work out child support wise and everything? Please help!

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Houser
Amanda Bowden Houser
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: "Please help!" Hmmmm - really? With what exactly - not paying child support perhaps? Couldn't be you need help with visitation with your son. If so, seems the time to have asked for help with that was 9 years ago. Or 8 years ago. Or 7 years ago. It seems very much like what you are saying is you are happy your son is now in your life as long as you don't risk having to pay back or future child support. It further seems you want to play the victim here (when you absolutely are not) with claims of your child having been kept from you by a mother who refused all of your many, many generous offers of financial support. Yet during this time you were the victim, it appears you took absolutely no steps whatsoever to go to court (or really to do anything of substance) to force visitation or the payment of child support. If my assessment is right, you likely ought not be in your son's life and if you are, you likely ought to pay that child support that you claim the mother refused to take - all of it. I hope I am wrong - and if I am, by all means please do finally after 9 years, spend some money and hire an attorney to ensure you can see and support your son. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.