Columbia, MD asked in Education Law and Traffic Tickets for Maryland

Q: I got pulled over for not stopping for a school bus — how do I request to not have this show on my driving record???

I was well past the bus before their hazards went on, still got pulled over

1 Lawyer Answer
Mark Oakley
Mark Oakley
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You request a trial by filling in and mailing the request form portion of the ticket located on the lower right side of the sheet. Check the “trial” box, not the “waiver hearing.” If the officer does not show, you’ll be found not guilty. If they show, you plead not guilty and tell your version of what happened. If you’re found guilty you request a “probation before judgment” (PBJ) which has the effect of striking the conviction and keeping your driving record clean (no points). You may want to retain a lawyer to improve your chances.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.