Asked in Business Law, Civil Litigation and Tax Law

Q: I cant get my former business partner to sign a dissolution agreement and now I might have to pay her part of the taxes

At the beginning of 2018 my former business partner emptied our bank account and started her own business taking all the clients with her and spreading horrible lies about me. I've lost just about everything including my home, income, and reputation. I am still in business but I barely make enough to pay the bills and feed my family. I finally saved up enough money to have the taxes done from 2017 and 2018 but since she wont sign the tax return and wouldnt sign a dissolution agreement the IRS is saying i will owe $26,000.00 for 2017 and that since she refuses to sign a dissolution agreement we are still a partnership. I cant even write the money off that she stole. I dont want to go to the federal penitentiary but there is no way i can cone up with that or even make payments on it. Is there anything I can do about this because I'm at my witts end?

1 Lawyer Answer

Linda Simmons Campbell

  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Burlington, CT

A: You need to speak with a good tax attorney to discuss your case in detail. If you do end up owing taxes that you cannot afford to pay there are collection alternatives available to you including an offer in compromise, a partial payment installment agreement, currently not collectible status, etc.

Just stay away from the places you see advertised on TV. Use Justia to find an attorney. Most of us offer a free consultation.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.