Charlotte, NC asked in Federal Crimes, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for North Carolina

Q: Can my ex get our child from another persons house?

I’ve hid our kid from him (I’m trying to sell the idea of him being unstable when he’s actually a good person, and really I’m I’m a bit off in the head for coming up with the idea to pretend that this fake daycare existed and the couple watching her have bought my story. He could have walked in along time ago, because her tablet was gps (and sniffing packets and running man in the middles on the WiFi ) I tell everybody I’m afraid my ex has a gun, when he really wouldn’t hurt me AND when he’s actually been too nice (well he might, now because I’ve been doing this spiteful crap with my boyfriend and family is at risk too because they’ve helped) and I’ve asked this question differently here, but what do I deserve for hiding her so long? I’m not a great parent, I’m jealous. I just wish I hadn’t lied to him, because he can prove hes known where she’s been, and that he wouldn’t take her like i did. I know I’m wrong but I don’t care. He’s crazy, and I’m sticking to it.

1 Lawyer Answer
Angela McIlveen
Angela McIlveen
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Charlotte, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: Your ex would be able to pick up his child from another person's home without your consent. Hearing your story I'm afraid that you are setting yourself for a terrible custody case. NC judges are not very sympathetic to a parent who is withholding or hiding a child from another parent. It sounds like you realize that you may have made a mistake in hiding your child. Now would be the time to make amends. I would also suggest that you find a counselor to talk to. Going through a break up is a stressful event and many people do things they regret later. Remember the most important thing is doing what is in the best interest of your child.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.