Sacramento, CA asked in Tax Law and Construction Law for California

Q: If someone fraudulently got my ssn and 1099 me but never had a signed w9 from me, can i fight this lie?

I worked for the person contracted to do this job and he couldnt contact them at tax time so he pretended to be someone else to get my ssn. I did cash some checks from him cause he claimed he couldnt withdraw the money and i had acheck cashing account. i cashed them for him to pay the people working. Am i screwed?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
David S. Greenberg
David S. Greenberg
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • San Diego, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: I have represented a taxpayer in a situation quite similar to yours. My approach led to the IRS completely exonerating my client.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

A: Unless the amount of money is very significant, IMPO you would be wise not to try to complain to the IRS about this incident. Complaining to the IRS about another taxpayer doing something wrong often backfires on the complainant. Rather than raise an issue that might blossom into a nightmare, why not try thinking of a logical way to reduce your total taxable income by the fraudulent amount, thereby negating the effect? Make sure you document what you did, and why; if the IRS ever asks you about it, that is the better time to fire back.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.