Cary, NC asked in Employment Law and Collections for North Carolina

Q: A former employer deposit funds in my account in error, am I obligated to repay those funds? What if I am unemployed?

A former employer called me in April and stated that for several months funds were deposited in my account. I checked my banking statement and he is correct. I left the company 8 months ago. Funds were deposited for 3 months. Funds were last deposited in November. I truly did not know that funds were being deposited in my account. I failed to check my banking statements because I have been so busy. I relocated from one state to another. Bottom line.... I deposited a large check in my account during this time-frame and my children deposited funds into my account on an ongoing basis; I honestly thought that all of the funds were mines.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kirk Angel
Kirk Angel
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: The employer can file a claim to get those funds back. If they do, they will then try to collect if from you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.