Jonesboro, AR asked in Employment Law and Tax Law for Tennessee

Q: What do I do if my former employer never sends me my W2 information and tells me I just have to find it online?

My former employer never mailed me my W2. When January 31 passed, I went to my old job and asked about my W2 and was promptly told that they didn’t mail them and I had to go online to the store’s employee portal and get it myself. I tried to figure out what my old manager was talking about, and tried to call the corporate office (they never answered, I tried 3 times throughout the week before giving up) to no avail.

I know tax season is passed now, but I just want to know what happened to my W2 and I want to know what happened with my money and returns.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

A: Your employer is required to file a copy of your W-2 (and that of all other employees) with the IRS; call the IRS consumer line and asked them either to give you the details over the phone or send you a copy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.