Providence, RI asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Rhode Island

Q: what can i due if a tenant use there surcerity deposit as there last month rent and there was damage to the place

1 Lawyer Answer
Andrew Bilodeau
Andrew Bilodeau
  • West Warwick, RI
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: Hello,

You will need to provide notice to the tenant regarding the damage to the apartment/house with an itemization of the cost to repair and you can pursue those damages in a court action if they are in an amount to be worthwhile. I would also evaluate whether or not the former tenant has the ability to pay. You may be able to obtain a judgment which remains valid for 20 years along with accruing interest but individual with whom you have a judgment against can never pay, then you will be out those funds as well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.