Houston, TX asked in Civil Litigation, Consumer Law, Contracts and Antitrust for Texas

Q: Vehicle was hit by another vehicle. Took it to paint shop. Went over the insurance estimate and removed a few items to s

Save some money. When I went to pick up my vehicle all the repairs were done very bad. Very bad.

Then when I got the final invoice the paint shop has changed all the numbers around to make the final bill to equal the original estimate.

Which they had already sent a supplement to the insurance company for other added repair cost. They easily could have billed the insurance again.

The changes add up to a couple thousand dollars. I refused to pay for the prices that were above the original quote as I did not get funds from the insurance company to cover the changes. Only the original estimate amount.

They’ve already been paid $4,000 for deposit and that covers more than the repairs they did. Now they want $4300 more.

Every repair they did will need to be redone somewhere else.

What should I do.

1 Lawyer Answer
Gary D. Peak
Gary D. Peak
  • Eastland, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: The question is, do you have your vehicle or is it still at the shop? If they still have it I would get an attorney to write a demand letter for the car and regarding the bill. If not, you can simply refuse to pay and if they report it to the credit bureaus then sue them, or if they sue you, file a counterclaim. Or, you could have an attorney try to head any of that off by sending a letter threatening to file suit for this fraud they are trying to commit if they do not acknowledge the debt is paid in full. Finally, you could sue them for a crapping repair and paint job and deal with it all in that suit.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.