Newport, TN asked in Family Law, Child Custody, Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for North Carolina

Q: A 4m old was taking by cps and officers the 1hr they knew the mother of the child wouldn’t be home.

Mother and child were made to leave their home and stay with grandparents. After cps told them they were doing so good and getting a new worker. Later came by and removed us. Parents had passed all drug screens. Accuse of DV. Even though father left to avoid a simple argument like they told him to do. 2 wks after moving the mother and child . They kept asking about next therapy apt. That’s when they showed up to grandparents and took child with not giving GP any papers. Went to mothers apt. Amd gave them to her after the fact. The papers were to the parents and child’s resident not the grandparents where the child was. Has been in DSS custody for almost a year with parent only seeing him 2hrs once a week is now 14m. Parents still complying with DSS and can’t get more visitation or child home

1 Lawyer Answer
Amanda Bowden Johnson
Amanda Bowden Johnson
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: This is essentially what often happens when you let DSS into your business and cooperate with them. DSS is so bad that often your best bet is to simply leave the state with the child as soon as you get wind of them sniffing around. However, in your case that ship has sailed long ago. Now that they are in your business, getting them out is going to be very difficult. Your options are to continue to cooperate or hire an attorney, sadly that choice is often dictated by what you can afford and they know it. If you can not afford an attorney, they will pretty much do what ever they want. Step out of line, piss of a worker, or even look at one of them the wrong way and you end up paying for it with more demands, more restrictions and more time away from your child. There really is not much middle ground, you either step and fetch and hope for the best or you hire an aggressive attorney. Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.