Washington, DC asked in Traffic Tickets for Maryland

Q: I received a following too close offense, can a lawyer negotiate to an offense with no points??

I am licensed in VA! Got a following too close offense, was NEVER ASSIGNED court, (Was. County) did not request a court date in time -30- day window- and there was none assigned. Can someone help me reopen the case, (they said all I can do is write a letter, ).and then negotiate down to a 0 points offense,?? I can.not. afford points in any way!!!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lee Eidelberg
Lee Eidelberg
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Towson, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: You have two situations at hand.

The first is requesting that the court recall your "failure to comply" suspension, which occurred when you failed to appear for your court date. This can be accomplished by informal written request, formal motion and/or the necessity of you having to submit the fine listed on the citation, in advance, as "collateral" for your court date. Much could depend on the particular jurisdiction in which the case lies.

The second concerns retaining an attorney to represent you in court. If you have a decent driving record, you may be entitled to "probation before judgment," a disposition where the court withholds a guilty finding on your record and you avoid the point(s) associated with your violation. I wonder, however, since I see you posted your inquiry whether you have a Maryland license or a D.C. license, which could make a difference in terms of your concern about a point assessment for the offense.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.