Manchester, CT asked in Criminal Law for Connecticut

Q: Good morning. Do you do or bono work for someone accused of a sex crime?

My husband has been accused of rape. We believe he’s innocent but we can’t afford a lawyer so he has a public defender that hasn’t been there to see him once. We really need your help if you can.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Ecleynne Mercy

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Atlanta, GA

A: Well, I have reached my pro bono limit for 2019 and 2020. However, I would suggest you just email your public defender so you can have some communication.

In addition, If you have a legal problem in Georgia, visit for a complete directory of civil legal assistance programs. If you do not live in Georgia and need free or low-cost legal help, visit

Note: Many businesses advertise “legal aid” on the internet. You should always ask questions to make sure you are requesting services from a program that offers free legal assistance.

Allan F. Friedman

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Stamford, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: Our Public Defenders carry heavy case loads and they may not have the time to get out to prison to visit your husband or give you the kind of customer service that you would expect from a private lawyer but most of them are really highly qualified in criminal law as that is all they do day in and day out. I would suggest you try have your husband work on his relationship with his Public Defender and see how that goes. I also have exceeded my pro bono capacity for this year but generally would be open to accepting any kind of case regardless of the accusation for my pro bono matters.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.