Saint Joseph, MO asked in Real Estate Law and Tax Law for Missouri

Q: If I lived in a house for 13 years and it was three years behind on taxes and the owner decided he didn't want it and it

If it Sold for back taxes do I as a tennant since I've been there for 13 years have more rights than anybody on the purchase

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

A: No. Unless the new owner wants to rent to their house to you, you have no rights to continue living in their house.

Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
Jennifer Sheila Kornblum
  • Springfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: You still have tenant rights and the new owner will have to take the proper legal steps to remove you, but your rights are not superior to the new owner's.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.