Laguna Niguel, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: Regretfully a friend is in trouble and I am helping him for petty theft.

Regretfully a friend is in trouble and I am helping him due to his language barrier.

This past Sunday, a friend of my nephew got himself in trouble and received Petty theft charges against him.

He shoplifted $50 or less over the counter medication at Costco .

Please note:

1 he has green card

2 he has no prior record

3 he is not employed here

4 he is visiting here and needs to get back to his home country due to his job obligations

5 his court date is in early July

need a lawyer that can handle this case, In addition:

1 what will be the cost to litigate his petty theft charge?

2 Must he be present and appear in the court on the court date as he may be travelling?

This happened in Orange county California

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Wais Azami
Wais Azami
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Garden Grove, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Per your request, I have called and left you a message already. Please don’t give out more facts about the case as it’ll be considered an admission potentially. Call my office at (714) 321-9999.

Rhonda Mae Hixon
Rhonda Mae Hixon
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Redding, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: A lawyer can appear for a defendant charged with a misdemeanor, and he never needs to go to court. Such an insignificant charge as this is frequently handled through a diversion type program, such as Western Corrections, where written course materials are completed to the DA's satisfaction and the charge is dismissed. Someone might need to help with the translation. There is also the civil compromise statute, where restitution in the form of loss prevention costs is paid to the injured party (Costco) and the charges are dismissed.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.