Ocean View, HI asked in Consumer Law and Banking for Hawaii

Q: I was scammed; I need a consultation on Regulation E.

I was tricked into wiring money from my bank in Hawaii to a bank in New York. The FBI says I will not get my money back; the account at the bank in New York has been closed. I have other agencies working on recovering it but I don't have much hope. At this point, I am interested in paying an attorney for a consultation, who has knowledge about consumer banking law to find out whether Regulation E will give me any chance of recovery of my funds. Please help. The money I lost was 2/3 of my retirement money and I would really like to get some recovery of these funds.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL

A: If it helps at all, you should know that you are among many thousands of working Americans and retirees who have recently sent vast sums of money to strangers who promised "really great earnings" on their "investment." The FBI cannot possibly keep up with all the thieves. Moreover, since two regulated banks must have been involved, IMPO your best sources of assistance are the state and federal banking authorities in Hawaii and New York.

Finally--depending on the amount of money you lost--and when you lost it--you may be able to convince a very experienced trial lawyer to help you locate the humans who scammed you; and then you might want to consider suing them--depending on where they live.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.