Ask a Question

Get free answers to your Banking legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Hawaii Banking Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Banking and Consumer Law for Hawaii on
Q: We finance a used car and it broke down in just 2 days, they don't want us to have a different car

They also don't give back the down payment that we paid to them

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
answered on Apr 11, 2024

I'm sorry to hear about your difficult situation with the used car purchase. Here are a few steps you can consider taking:

1. Review your purchase contract: Carefully read through the sales contract to see if there is any language about warranties or guarantees. Look for any clauses...
View More

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law and Banking for Hawaii on
Q: I was scammed; I need a consultation on Regulation E.

I was tricked into wiring money from my bank in Hawaii to a bank in New York. The FBI says I will not get my money back; the account at the bank in New York has been closed. I have other agencies working on recovering it but I don't have much hope. At this point, I am interested in paying... View More

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Jun 6, 2019

If it helps at all, you should know that you are among many thousands of working Americans and retirees who have recently sent vast sums of money to strangers who promised "really great earnings" on their "investment." The FBI cannot possibly keep up with all the thieves.... View More

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Business Law and Consumer Law for Hawaii on
Q: I was tricked into wiring nearly $60K of my retirement money to JP Morgan Chase Bank in New York. Will Reg. E help me?

I've notified all appropriate government agencies about the "theft." Research tells me Regulation E may cover me under these circumstances but I need an attorney's advice. Is there an attorney on the Big Island that I can consult about consumer bank law?

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on May 13, 2019

You should use the Find a Lawyer tab located at the top of every page here on Justia.

1 Answer | Asked in Banking for Hawaii on
Q: is a credit union required to send a notice when closing a checking account due to negative balance
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
answered on Apr 9, 2019

Yes, most credit unions do send out notices when they are closing an overdrawn account; but the notice may not arrive before they close the account.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.