Bellflower, CA asked in Real Estate Law for Arizona

Q: I submitted for a refund of an admin fee from a property manager May 14th. Well past the 14 days allowed. What can I do?

I have emails confirming May 14th and the only follow up I have received is telling me to just wait longer for my money. I saw online they have 14 business days to provide this refund legally. We are beyond that threshold and Shelton-Cook (Property Manager) has stopped communicating with me entirely. What can I do to get my money?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: Assuming your situation falls within ARS 33-1321, you can file a civil lawsuit against your former landlord to seek a judgment for the money owed. Once you have your money judgment you can use other civil remedies such as execution and garnishment to attempt collection. However, when you file a lawsuit, be aware that your former landlord may file a counterclaim against you. Things can get complicated. I recommend that you seek the advice of an attorney before you take any action.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.