Pasadena, MD asked in Adoption and Family Law for Maryland

Q: do i need permission from my ex for my fiancé to adopt if I have sole physical & legal custody?

My ex recently after 5 yrs just starting repaying back support, he has renewed his interest which leads me to believe he would not actively participate and cooperate with my fiancé adopting my daughter. The ex hasn’t seen my child in over 4 years because he has long history of substance abuse. At this point, i think my 6 yr old can decide when she’s ready to meet him and I want to be supportive for her to do so. I know court will decide in best interest of child...I filed legal/physical and have the right to decide legally what is in my child’s best interest correct? I was going file papers myself to save money as long as he cannot contest

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cedulie Renee Laumann
Cedulie Renee Laumann
  • Crownsville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: The legal standard for adoption is different than for granting sole custody. A natural parent must be notified of adoption proceedings. Adoption generally requires the natural parent's consent or a court order terminating the natural parent's rights as a parent (in extreme circumstances).

Filing for adoption over a natural parent's objection may be a difficult legal battle and you are encouraged to seek advice from a competent family law attorney. Even if you chose to self-represent it may be helpful to get legal guidance from an adoption lawyer before filing any paperwork.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.