Denver, CO asked in Small Claims, Civil Litigation, Landlord - Tenant and Libel & Slander for Colorado

Q: What action to take when forcibly kicked out with no notice?

My landlord on a month to month single room rental that had no lease kicked me out of the house mid month with rent completely paid up to the end of month. He gave no notice at all and forced me to leave immediately without getting all of my belongings, he also forced me to give back my house key with the threat of the destruction of my property if i did not comply. The following day I returned to get my belongings and was denied entry to the house with the implied threat of deadly force with use of a firearm. The landlord entered my rented area without my permission or my presence and packed my things into boxes and put them outside for me to get. I am missing several of my possessions that held great personal value and are not replaceable. He also spread defamatory information about me at my place of work to my coworkers and managers which led to my termination. I requested to have the prorated amount of paid up rent refunded to me and was denied this request by the landlord.

1 Lawyer Answer
Donald C Eby
Donald C Eby
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Colorado Springs, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: You may want to bring a claim for damages in Small Claims Court.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.