Conroe, TX asked in Banking and Communications Law for Texas

Q: How much trouble am I in?

I was talking to a guy. He paid my credit card off. Then asked me to get him 350 dollars worth of gift cards to pay him back. I thought it was a scam and called then bank to have my account frozen and asked to have the payment sent back. But they guy is claiming that he can have me arrested

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL

A: I am not licensed to practice law in Texas but I do know banking law very well. People who have their bank stop payment on something without any cause are considered in the same category as people who write bad checks.

If "the guy" who paid off your credit card did so using a valid check, money order or electronic transfer then you owe him whatever amount he spent helping you out.

On the flip side, if you are correct about "the guy" being a scammer and if you tried to scam him first, you may have another bigger problem that cannot be solved by legal means. Watch your back.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.