Hamilton, OH asked in Divorce, DUI / DWI and Family Law for Ohio

Q: My stepson recently informed us that his mother drove drunk with him in the car. What is our best course of action?

My stepson is 13 and they were at a park for a party. His mother reportedly had been drinking, and then proceeded to drive home. Prior to leaving the park, she drove into a tree, as well, and her husband continued to allow her to drive home. My stepson advised that he was very scared, and my husband (his father) and I are concerned for his safety. We want to make sure that he is safe, and want to know what would be the best or proper steps to take. She was not pulled over or given an DUI, so the only proof we have is the testimony from my stepson. Any advice you can give would be absolutely fantastic.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joseph Jaap
Joseph Jaap
  • Cincinnati, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: The first step would be to talk to her about it. Does she have a problem? Is she alcoholic? Would her husband deny what your stepson says? Was an insurance claim filed for hitting the tree? If so, if you file with the court for a change in custody, and you could get a copy of that. Use the Find a Lawyer tab to retain a local family law attorney to review the situation and advise you.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.