Phoenix, AZ asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Illinois

Q: mother being charged first time with child endangerment. DCFS pulled child from home. What's the sentencing typically?

She has had multiple instances with DCFS. DCFS pulled the child from her home is now living with dad out of state. Mom and boyfriend were found under the influence of heroine and alcohol. Will she typically go to jail, only be slapped with a fine? How do we make sure the child isn't forced to go back to mom? She's happy and wants to stay with dad. Not sure what this means in terms of custody and whether or not we can stop child support.

1 Lawyer Answer
Ray Choudhry
Ray Choudhry
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Moline, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: DCFS doesn't do criminal.

The father needs to go to court to get the parenting plan changed to give him primary care.

If he has child, he can go to court to stop child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.