Omaha, TX asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Illinois

Q: How can the State Of IL reopen a closed child support case from 2011, tell me I owe 16k when I was married with my wife?

I got divorced in 10/18 me and my ex wife have 50/50 custody my child support order signed by the judge with a diff amount. I received a letter from child support last week saying I owe 3x more a mon now which I dont understand and it shows it is from the old child support case from 2009 when me and my wife were not together at the time. We got back together in 2010 ,married in 2010 and she closed the case. I called the Illinois Child Support office to see whats going on they stated they did not see the new order from my divorce only the old one from 2009 and that I owed them 16k I was speechless how is that possible that case was closed back on 2011 I married my wife in 2010 we were together up until we mutually agreed it was better to go our separate ways . I filed the divorce, our divorce was finalized 10/2018 with the child support and income withholding documents filled out signed by the judge. How can the state just reopen a old case when I was married to her and say I owe 16k

1 Lawyer Answer
Robert B. Buchanan
Robert B. Buchanan
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: The state child support agency is notorious for mismanaging child support accounts.

I wish I had better advice, but you may have to hire a law firm to work their way through the bureaucracy.

It's a broken system.

Best of luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.