Plainfield, NJ asked in Divorce, Family Law, Civil Litigation and Civil Rights for New Jersey

Q: I am being garnished Alimony and Child support based on a $150,000 salary i made 6 years ago, i make 92k now. Help

I cant survive on my salary and paying 65% of it, I cant pay full Alimony and I am behind over $205k I cant afford a lawyer i am 58 broke and have no savings. The court is draining me. IS there no one that can help me?

1 Lawyer Answer
Teresa L. Reichek
Teresa L. Reichek
  • Mount Laurel, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You need to find a experienced family law attorney who can file a motion on your behalf requesting modification due to a change in circumstances. You should be prepared to fill out a new set of financial forms and be able to explain why your income has been reduced and why it is unlikely to be increased in the future. You need to show a prima facie case that your change is permanent, so you will need counsel with experience in this type of matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.