Fort Worth, TX asked in Civil Rights, Constitutional Law and Criminal Law for Colorado

Q: If I get into a fist fight with my girlfriends brother in their parents house, what happens if police get called?

1 Lawyer Answer
Jonathan Greenlee
Jonathan Greenlee
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Boulder, CO
  • Licensed in Colorado

A: Unless you are acting in self defense (acting reasonably against an imminent threat of injury to you or another) and did not provoke the fight, you could be charged with a wide range of offenses, depending on the severity of any injuries inflicted. A simple shove or push that does not cause pain could result in a misdemeanor harassment charge, a shove, push, punch, or something similar that causes pain could result in a misdemeanor assault charge, and anything that results in a more serious injury (like a missing tooth, broken nose or jaw) would be a felony assault charge. Using a weapon could also result in more serious charges.

If you are charged, you will likely be arrested and have to post a bond.

Even a misdemeanor assault charge resulting from a simple fist fight can carry significant jail time and is very easy to accidentally inflict an injury like a broken nose that will result in a felony charge.Unless you are in a situation where physical force is truly necessary in self-defense, best to avoid trading blows.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.