Buffalo, NY asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Collections for New York

Q: I want to object as a plantiff , defense has filed a motion to compel and bring the case to federal court for subject ma

Subject matter jurisdiction. I have personal jurisduction in state supreme court. What is the name of the document to file to object to motion to compel change of venue.

1 Lawyer Answer

A: If the state court case meets all the requirements for being brought in a federal district court, the defendant(s) can remove it to the proper federal district court having jurisdiction. You as plaintiff can object to removal--which may be granted--because the federal court does not have to take the case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.