Arlington, VA asked in Traffic Tickets for Maryland

Q: Should i go to court for my registration, i was not able to show to cop on demand. It was in my car the whole time?

I got stopped for speeding, i explained i was trying to pass someone. When the police asked for my license and registration i could not find my registration. When i got to work i realized it laying on the floor of the passenger front seat. I assumed it fell down when i was looking for it. Should i pay the fine for no show of registration or should i go to court with my registration and plead not guilty. This is in Maryland? The charge is TA-13-409(b)

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lee Eidelberg
Lee Eidelberg
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Towson, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: This is not a moving violation, so paying the fine will not result in any points to your driving record. That being said, if you go to court and explain the situation to the Judge - provided you have a good driving record - the judge might grant you a probation before judgment - which avoids the technical conviction on your record, and reduce the fine specified on your citation. Oftentimes, in these situations, one must weigh the time and possible inconvenience that could result by going to court for that kind of result, versus just paying the violation, knowing that it results in no points and is not considered a moving violation more likely to affect your insurance rates.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.