San Jose, CA asked in Personal Injury, Workers' Compensation, Civil Rights and Insurance Defense for California

Q: In a WC case, can the defendant party deny me appearing for my deposition by remote or electronic means?

I have a desire to appear by either telephone or by remote or electronic means for a deposition

The judge doesn’t seem to have a problem with it, since I can get a recommendation from my clinical treating therapist or get ADA accomodations.

The representing attorney said it was his deposition and denied me the ability to appear by remote or electronic means, which I believe is out of malice since the claim involves PTSD and Generalized Anxiety.

He wrote to me:” I plan on seeing you face to face!”

Do I have the right to object to take the deposition in person and orally? I have a care team who will support me with this.

2 Lawyer Answers

Dale S. Gribow

  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: more info needed.

you need to ask this in a Workers Comp forum...this is a PI forum.

most WC lawyers will give you a free consultation and if you are in the middle of a claim and do not have a lawyer..........shame on you.

William John Light agrees with this answer

Ronald Mahurin

  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Point Arena, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You are fighting a losing battle. The fact that you don't want to appear for a deposition is not justification. Defendants have the right to take your deposition directly. The only way you can justify not showing up is to show extraordinary circumstances that support the fact that you cannot travel or there is no location near by where the depo can be taken.


William John Light agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.