Lexington, NC asked in Estate Planning and Elder Law for North Carolina

Q: My dad will need assisted living in the near future. In NC can a non-family member purchase the condo

and turn around and sell it to my wife and I to avoid a home getting it to pay for his assistance?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Evan Lohr
Charles Evan Lohr
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Raleigh, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: A person’s primary residence isn’t considered a countable asset for Medicaid purposes if they intend to return to the home (this is a very low standard to meet) so owning it wouldn’t impact his eligibility to qualify. Any cash that he received from the sale of the home would count against his Medicaid eligibility, however.

If he keeps ownership of the condo, the main issue would be Medicaid seeking estate recovery after his death. There are a number of ways to avoid this. Feel free to contact me if you’d like to discuss further.

Evan Lohr

Attorney at Law


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.