Hyde Park, MA asked in Real Estate Law and Probate for Massachusetts

Q: I was the sole caregiver for both of my ailing parents for almost 10 years. After 2 yrs,I had to sell my home and move i

with them because they required around the clock care. My dad passed 3yrs ago, and my mom died may 2018. Throughout that time, my life came to a complete halt. My Sisters continued to work, travel and live their lives. Unfortunately, my mom passed away before she put together a living trust. Me and my husband continued to live at the house because we had no where to go and were having a hard time finding an apt. I had already met with a probate attorney and realtor. I gathered all the information that was required and out of the blue, the attorney backed out. He told me that my family had been harassing him daily with phone calls, emails and text messages and He didnt want the hassle. Then I found out my sisters had already had their own attorney and realtor. Well, in March the pressure was on for me to find somewhere else to live. We found an apt &started moving on 6/30 but needed more time. Then last week she changed the locks so now I cant get the rest of my things. What do I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Lillian J. LaRosa
Lillian J. LaRosa
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Woburn, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: This is a landlord tenant matter at this juncture as well as a probate matter. I cannot tell from the facts presented whether there was a discussion of a potential claim or whether there was and a claim filed against the estate in a timely fashion due to the statute of limitations . You need counsel ASAP who should not be contacting or in contact with heirs directly as they are represented by counsel according to your remarks.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.