Sacramento, CA asked in Divorce and Family Law for Illinois

Q: If I was summoned in Illinois incorrectly do I need to show to the court date?

My husband has summoned me for a dna/parternity test as well as custody for our son. We had our son prior to our marriage, and he is not listed on the birth certificate. My son and I fled from Illinois for our safety, and my mother said a sheriff came to her house to give her summons for me, even though she let him know I haven’t lived there in months and have my own residence. So do I need to show up for the court date or can I stay in hiding?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Robert B. Buchanan
Robert B. Buchanan
  • Chicago, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You should hire a lawyer to file a motion to quash service.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.