Tempe, AZ asked in Probate, Elder Law and Estate Planning for Arizona

Q: How can I stop my sister from spending my mom's money?

Mom has dementia and is in a assisted living home, a very expensive home. My sister is the Executor of the will and I think she may have guardianship or POA. Long story short but when we moved mom we decided as a family to spruce up the family home and rent it out to offset her costs. My sister has now gone into a full blown renovation with moms money at a cost of over $50k and now wants to sell. If she sells the home most of that 50k is thrown right out the window. It was worth $290 before the upgrades and after maybe $325. After paying commissions she will have lost roughly $35k. She has also talked about investing mom's money which scares me to death. Please tell me how I can save any inheritance I may have left. We are no longer on speaking terms, what can I do to get her to stop spending and just pay the necessary bills?

1 Lawyer Answer
Peter H. Westby
Peter H. Westby
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: I recommend that you consult an attorney about a conservatorship. Appointing a conservator will provide competent help for your mom with her financial affairs and safeguard her assets. A conservator is supervised by the court and must account annually.

If there already is a conservator in place, the court can assist by reviewing the actions of the conservator, giving instructions or, in an extreme case, removing the conservator and appointing a new conservator.

Mike Branum agrees with this answer

2 users found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.