Atkinson, NH asked in Criminal Law and Family Law for Rhode Island

Q: My ex was emotionally abusive. I am being treated for PTSD, Depression and Anxiety. Can I sue for emotional damage?

It is 12 years later, he threatened me into selling my own house to get the equity, he broke into my house and yelled at me to sell it. He has alienated my three children from me, I sold the house, he didn't like the amount I was getting, he filed a restraining order against the sale. I couldn't close. I lost the sale, the house, had to be foreclosed upon. I had already moved out and could not afford to go back. I cannot recover to this day. He has his job and all the money.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL

A: I doubt any attorney would take this case on a contingency fee basis.

Also what is the likelihood of recovering money should you get a judgment?

Those are my observations

Neville Bedford
Neville Bedford
  • Licensed in Rhode Island

A: If you are experiencing these threats currently, call the police, or seek a protective order.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.