Panorama City, CA asked in Criminal Law for California

Q: What charge is PC42217B4

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Penal Code 422(a) - Law section

(a) Any person who willfully threatens to commit a crime which will result in death or great bodily injury to another person, with the specific intent that the statement, made verbally, in writing, or by means of an electronic communication device, is to be taken as a threat, even if there is no intent of actually ...

People also ask

my guess is that you are reading the penal code violation wrong.

Ghazal  Sharif
Ghazal Sharif
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Pleasanton, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: In California, making a criminal threat is charged under Penal Code section 422. To prove a person is guilty of this crime, the prosecutor must prove the following elements:

(1) The defendant willfully threatened to kill or cause great bodily harm to another;

(2) The defendant conveyed a threat verbally, in writing, or via electronic device;

(3) The defendant harbored the intent that the statement be taken as a threat;

(4) The threat was unconditional, immediate, clear, and specific that it could be carried out; and

(5) The other person sustained reasonable fear for their safety or the safety of an immediate family member.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.