Clover, SC asked in Immigration Law for South Carolina

Q: Failed sled operation and renewing green card

I failed a sled operation by selling alcohol to a minor in 2015 I was not put in jail I was only fined and attended an alcohol awareness course .I am supposed to renew my green card next year. two months ago I did receive the paperwork that my record has been expunged will I be okay when renewing my application for my green card

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Allen C. Ladd
Allen C. Ladd
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Greenville, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: I'm going to assume you were convicted because you say you paid a fine -- that is, a punishment which means there had to be a guilty plea or judge's finding of guilt, that is a conviction.

Either way, with a conviction for selling alcohol to a minor -- what is termed a "crime involving moral turpitude" -- I believe you will be OK on your green card renewal as long as the maximum possible jail time for the crime is UNDER 1 year jail time. (Yes, I know you did not do jail time.) This is according to what is called the "petty offense exception" under section 237 of the Immigration and Nationality Act.

If any questions, you should consult with an immigration lawyer.

By the way, expungement is of no effect for US immigration purposes. A conviction remains a conviction, forever.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.