Trenton, NJ asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Securities Law for New Jersey

Q: WE INVESTED $100000 in Cinsay who was bought out by Aibuy in May 2019 We were never advised of the change of ownership.

We were never given an opportunity to recover our investment.What do you recommend we do

2 Lawyer Answers
David Neuman
David Neuman
  • Securities Law Lawyer
  • Seattle, WA

A: Ultimately, if there was a material misrepresentation made in connection with the sale of the investment, then you could potentially sue for it. Generally the misrepresentation must be made at the time of sale to be actionable.

With regards to notice of the change of ownership, that depends on your voting rights as an investor. Generally, to change ownership, the owners of the company with voting rights make the determination whether to approve or deny a merger, sale of the company, or other similar events. Whether you have voting rights depends on the bylaws of the corporation and the class of shares that you own.

An attorney would need more information to make a determination on what options you have. I suggest that you contact an attorney who is familiar with securities litigation. You can use the search function on this website, or you can visit, and use the "Find an attorney" function on the homepage.

Good luck!

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Clifton, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: You obviously need to retain an experienced securities law attorney, since this is a very specialized legal field. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.