Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
New Jersey Securities Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Securities Law for New Jersey on
Q: I rent an apartment in fort lee, nj, if I will move out by Nov. 31, could I use my security deposit for Nov rent? Thanks
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb answered on Oct 20, 2021

No! But the LL must return the security deposit promptly with 30 days or be subject to penalties. Speak to a local Fort Lee, NJ real estate attorney for details.

1 Answer | Asked in Business Law, Securities Law and Stockbroker Fraud for New Jersey on
Q: Can an execution-only company operate without a broker license? Handling the execution of copying securities trades
Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Jun 23, 2021

There is no legal trading of any securities without a valid license for the appropriate security. If you do not have the right license for example to trade futures, and you do, then you have a serious problem. Don't do it!

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for New Jersey on
Q: Am I legally allowed to receive a fee (finders fee) for making an introduction to someone who gave a loan to a business?

I understand that I can’t receive a fee if I find an investor - but I’m assuming a loan would be ok?

Thank you.

Paul J. Riviere
Paul J. Riviere answered on Dec 16, 2019

Generally speaking you can legally pay a referral fee on a commercial loan. For example if you apply for a commercial loan online via a lending aggregator, a referral fee may be charged to the loan. Lender will often pay this fee, but some aggregators pass this tax the borrower.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Securities Law for New Jersey on
Q: Neighbor has camera facing my backyard and bedroom window. And two lights that shine through my bedroom windows
Gary Kollin
Gary Kollin answered on Aug 26, 2019

Thank you gor sharing. No question asked

2 Answers | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts and Securities Law for New Jersey on
Q: WE INVESTED $100000 in Cinsay who was bought out by Aibuy in May 2019 We were never advised of the change of ownership.

We were never given an opportunity to recover our investment.What do you recommend we do

David Neuman
David Neuman answered on Aug 2, 2019

Ultimately, if there was a material misrepresentation made in connection with the sale of the investment, then you could potentially sue for it. Generally the misrepresentation must be made at the time of sale to be actionable.

With regards to notice of the change of ownership, that...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Securities Law for New Jersey on
Q: 18 year old who has a bank account under my name only.Is it invasion of privacy if your parents look into your checkbook

I live with my parents and they go into my room to look into my checkbook at times without consent.

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on May 5, 2018

They are your parents, and you live in their home, and they support you, so the answer is NO.

If you want to keep your checkbook private, then buy a locking strong box and have your mail sent to a P.O. Box.

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Products Liability, Insurance Defense and Securities Law for New Jersey on
Q: A year ago my father took my laptop to try and get it fixed. He gave it to a man that he found online.

We lost contact with this man and my father has almost no way to contact him. I had thousands of pictures and hundreds of documents on there and I am worried I won't get it back. How should we go about this??

H. Scott Aalsberg Esq.
H. Scott Aalsberg Esq. answered on Dec 13, 2017

Best bet is to hire a PI to find the guy if it is important to you, then you can determine what your best options are. If you can't find the guy you can't really do much. He did not steal the laptop and may have tried to contact you and he may say you did not pay for the services... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Civil Litigation and Securities Law for New Jersey on
Q: If I deposit cash into my child's UTMA account after she turns 21, is that deposit considered my daughter's UTMA Funds?

or since she is already older than 21, the deposits can be considered my money? I never closed my daughter's UTMA account when she was 21. She is now 24 and I realized that I deposited substantial money into her UTMA account after she was 21 that I considered to me mine and not hers. Can I now... Read more »

Jeffrey Michael Haber
Jeffrey Michael Haber answered on Jan 7, 2017

As a general rule, once money is deposited into an UTMA account, it is irrevocable. In other words, the money cannot be returned to the person who deposited the money. This is so even when the child reaches the age of majority. You should discuss your situation with your bank and your daughter.... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Securities Law, Business Law and Business Formation for New Jersey on
Q: NJ p2p lending firm we are not originate the loans do we have to get Consumer Lenders/Sales Finance Company license?

We are a startup lending firm offering personal unsecured loans. We Won't originate the loans.

Do we need any license to operate in NJ?


Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Apr 26, 2016

You need to have an in person consultation with an experienced business attorney to learn exactly what the rules and requirements are for you to operate this type of business in NJ. You can have serious problems if you do not conduct your business properly. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Contracts, Criminal Law and Securities Law for New Jersey on
Q: 2 "investors" gave me checks worth more than $100,000.00. But they bounced, they are fraud checks. what should i do?

Two guys were claiming to be stock investors. I invest $55,00.00 with the first guy, and he made me sign a contract, with his and my signature. when i asked for my return money with the profit, the second guy came me 5 checks worth more than $118,000.00. But the checks bounced and the bank gave me... Read more »

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Apr 20, 2016

Contact all levels of law enforcement, including FINRA and also contact the NJ State Attorney General. Good luck.

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Family Law and Securities Law for New Jersey on
Q: What are my entitlement as we are now separated for 5 months

My husband bought a house in Georgia less than a month after he gave me a letter to say he was moving out and taking few of his stuff. He bought a house in Georgia and have his ex wife name added to the property because doesn't want me nor our baby to attain any of his assets. His name... Read more »

Leonard R. Boyer
Leonard R. Boyer answered on Dec 8, 2015

I am sorry to hear of your ordeal. In order to determine what your entitlement is, the best thing is to have an in person consultation with an experienced matrimonial law attorney. It sounds as though marital assets were used to purchase this property. An attorney will also be able to obtain... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for New Jersey on
Q: I'm considering raising capital (1-2 million) from a group of investors. What legal steps to take?
Adam Studnicki
Adam Studnicki answered on Jul 21, 2015

Definitely talk to an experienced securities lawyer!

1 Answer | Asked in Securities Law for New Jersey on
Q: On 3/21/13 I filled out an app. for a brokerage account a PNC. They withdrew 200,000 from checking to acct. Can I cancel
Adam Savett
Adam Savett answered on Apr 15, 2013

The answer depends on what they withdrew the money for, and what agreements you may have signed with PNC.

If it was just to fund your account, then it should be very easy to reverse the transaction.

If, on the other hand, it was to buy securities, and those securities have already...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.