Norwalk, OH asked in Banking, Business Formation and Business Law for Ohio

Q: I help run an online business, and I need advice

over the past month I helped with collecting the payments and sending them to the vendor for the items. The vendor never shipped any items, she made fake tracking numbers, and etc. People are saying they are going to report me because I took their payment but I have proof from my bank account that when people paid, I sent it to the vendor almost right away. So what can I do? I am by no means the scammer here.

2 Lawyer Answers
Matthew Williams
Matthew Williams
  • Cleveland, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You should hire an attorney to go through the transactions, the customer complaints, and the rest of your business to help you prepare to defend allegations that you are part of the scam.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

Bruce Alexander Minnick
Bruce Alexander Minnick
  • Business Law Lawyer
  • Tallahassee, FL

A: Based on your own description of the "online business" that you say you "help run" it will be hard for you to convince many people that you are not associated with the guy you admitted working with. Moreover, you closing comment "I have proof from my bank account that when people paid, I sent it to the vendor ALMOST RIGHT AWAY" is an admission of some guilt--in delaying payments not intended for you.

Advice: Stop admitting your guilt on the Internet and hire a good criminal defense lawyer right away.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.