Asked in Car Accidents for California

Q: My collision report from the chp is not correct. Insurance policy# had to many numbers, phone numbers were not correct,

In addition chp faild to analyze the cause of the accident. The report clearly proves that party 1 is at fault. Mind you she also lied about how the accident occurred. There were witnesses there trying to give there statements and not one was on the report. At the end the chp found me at fault of the accident because they said i was driving 35 mph. i never stated that i was driving 35mph thats what chp assumed. Her insurance wont fix my car because of this idk what to do i need my car fixed. How do i get the chp to do there job right and fix the paper work.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

Alexander Bakhache Perez

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Fullerton, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: go through your insurance if that is an option, then subrogration.

if not then consult with an attorney with a free phone consult if they would take your case and the terms.

or small claim court if the amount is less than $10K and represent your self.

William John Light

  • Personal Injury Lawyer
  • Riverside, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: You can write your correction to the CHP and ask that it correct, amend or supplement the report. You can gather your own witness statements and submit them to CHP and/or to the other insurer. You can simply get your car fixed through your own insurance and let it deal with trying to collect from the other party's insurer. You can sue the other party in Small Claims for the value of the repair and your rental car expenses. Police reports are not admissible in court (Small Claims is a little looser in this regard). Statements in the police report might be admissible, but the conclusions of the officer are not.

Justin R. Heim agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.